Re: the alternative?

Liam Quin:

Erik van Blokland wrote:
> ""PAY 5 DOLLARS AND SEE THIS AD THE WAY IT WAS INTENDED!""

Well, I was assuming that the ad would look fine in the browser, and would
use the right font, but that if you wanted to use the font in your own
publications, you'd have to buy it.  Sorry for being too terse.

Chris Lilley <Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr>
> Kodak, and CocaCola respectively.

Yes.  Of course, that's not the example I was thinking of, since those
companies might not want their fonts distributed.  But suppose I put a
site for people interested in X Files (a popular television programme), and
use the deranged typewriter font `Trixie' for all the headings.  A viewer
might well say, hey that's neat, where do I get that font?, click on
the Document information button, and be told that they can download Trixie
if they are very tall and can pay $40 to LETTEROR... and they like the
font enough that they do.

That's certainly better than the `please mail me the X-files font' messages
that plague the comp.fonts newsgroups, but more importantly, it creates a
new distribution and marketing channel.

I"ve deleted the rest of Chris' comments, since I agree with them.
Strange thing, usenet... :-)

Lee