Re: WebFonts

At 11:50p 03/27/96, lee@sq.com wrote:

>More importantly, you don't know the size or resolution of the screen
>that the browser is using.  I have a 150dpi screen on one system, and only
>a 100dpi screen on another.  Our main Macintosh actually has a 75dpi screen!!!

72dpi is actually what the MacOS is designed with.

>. Platform independent, so that Mac users can join in too
>  (at least one proposal I have seen excludes the minority of WWW users
>  who are on the Macintosh, for example... oops) (please don't ask which)

"oops" is right -- I hardly think we Mac folks are a minority -- there are
millions of us using the Web, and I don't know how many thousands of
*servers* on the Web are Macintoshes...perhaps Quarterdeck (which bought
StarNine which bought WebSTAR which used to be called MacHTTP) has some
idea... :-)
And as a ratio of internet usage to installed base, the number is 3 times
as high for Macintosh as it is for Windows. Sure it's a smaller total
number, but it's a higher ratio, and that's gotta count for something...
;-)

>. Possible to use existing investment of Type 1 fonts.  (The ability
>  to use TrueType fonts might also be important, but I claim that most
>  people who pay for commercial professional-quality typefaces today
>  buy Type 1 fonts.  One day, QuickDraw GX will be ported, and GX fonts
>  will also be possible on non-Mac computers, but not yet)

Many of us yearn for that day...  ::pant,pant::
I'm a Type 1 kinda guy myself. Haven't installed QD GX yet, but I sure hope
that GX is ported to Windows by the time Copland comes out, since Copland
has GX built in. Eeek.

-Walter