Re: display vs text faces

At 4:16p 01/26/96, lilley wrote:
>Benjamin C. W. Sittler writes:
>
>> On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, lilley wrote:
>> > 1) agreement on a font interchange specification that has a freely
>>available
>> >    specification, and
>>
>> What about METAFONT files? While the computational overhead is a bit
>> stiff,
>
>More so than other vector formats such as Trutype, Adobe Type 1?
>
>> I don't think your average workstation or PC would have a problem
>> with it. It's also (so far as I know) free of troublesome legal problems,
>
>are you alluding to problems with one of the other suggestions? I don't
>think Adobe Type 1 has any problems as long as you call it
>ISO/IEC 9541-3: 1991
>
>> and already implimented for a variety of machines.
>
>Perhaps we could compile a list of possible formats and the platforms
>that can handle each, plus the availability of export options to that
>format from font design applications and any other considerations such
>as availability of hinting and so on.

I wonder if Ares Software would care to use their font descriptor technology?
I pulled this excerpt from an article on AOL in their MDP forum:

  FontChameleon from Ares Software (415/578-9090) offers the ability
  to manipulate the master fonts in applications that have QuickDraw GX
  slides for weight, height and width.

  Future versions of Apple's operating system and printers will further
  integrate and tweak Quickdraw GX. Upcoming OS's will also use
  Ares Software's Chameleon technology. Used in the FontChameleon
  application, Chameleon automatically generates TrueType and Postscript
  Type 1 fonts from master outlines and preset descriptor files. Combined
  with Quickdraw GX, Chameleon should offer enhanced document portability,
  and better font selections and type effects, requiring minimal RAM and
  disk space.

The font descriptor files are very small (2-3K).
Ares is best known for their "FontMonger" PS/TT converter.