From: Hakon Lie  <Hakon.Lie@sophia.inria.fr>
To: Paul Haeberli  <paul@balla.asd.sgi.com>
Cc:  <www-font@w3.org>
Subject: Is this mail list active?
Date: Thursday, January 25, 1996 10:14AM

Paul Haeberli writes:

> Is this mail list active?

It's starting up. I count 12 subscribers at this point..

While I have Paul's attention: your WebFonts proposal [1] is
interesting. I have one suggestion and one concern.

- wouldn't PNG be a better format to base WebFonts on? First, it's
  politically more correct. Second, you can hide the metainformation
  inside the PNG-file.

- providing bitmap fonts is device-dependent. The selected font may
  have just the right size on the author's screen, but will not scale
  to the reader's preferred size or any printer. If we aim for
  consistent presentations, isn't scalable fonts the only option?

[1] http://reality.sgi.com/grafica/webfonts/

Regards,

-h&kon

http://www.w3.org/People/howcome  howcome@w3.org