Russian charsets

From: Lena@lena.kiev.ua
Date: Sat, Nov 03 2001

    From: Lena@lena.kiev.ua
    To: www4mail-comments@w3.org
    Date: Sat,  3 Nov 2001 22:21:12 +0200 (EET)
    Subject: Russian charsets

    Hi Clement,

    <www4mail@wm.ictp.trieste.it> while executing GET command
    still continues to transliterate Russian text by Latin characters
    rendering text very inconvenient for reading. Specifying
    XCHARSET doesn't help.

    Two examples:

    1. http://www.comnews.ru/index.cfm?id=2340
    XDOCINFO gives just "Content-Type: text/html", without charset
    specification. The page contains
    SOURCE command gives the page in windows-1251 charset.

    2. http://halyava.ru/elena/m2f-rus.htm
    XDOCINFO gives "Content-Type: text/html; charset=koi8-r".
    SOURCE command gives the page in koi8-r charset.

    For both these pages GET command gives the page transliterated
    by Latin characters no matter how I specify XCHARSET:
    xcharset koi8-r
    xcharset windows-1251
    xcharset auto
    or without XCHARSET command at all, with
    or the letter with GET command.

    I last tried on October 30-31 (version pre3.0rc14c).

    To read Russian text written by Latin characters is very
    inconvenient and slow. Can Lynx be forbidden to convert
    one charset into another?

    Thanks,

    Lena