Russian charsets

Date: Sat, Nov 03 2001

    Date: Sat,  3 Nov 2001 22:21:12 +0200 (EET)
    Subject: Russian charsets
    Hi Clement,
    <> while executing GET command
    still continues to transliterate Russian text by Latin characters
    rendering text very inconvenient for reading. Specifying
    XCHARSET doesn't help.
    Two examples:
    XDOCINFO gives just "Content-Type: text/html", without charset
    specification. The page contains
    SOURCE command gives the page in windows-1251 charset.
    XDOCINFO gives "Content-Type: text/html; charset=koi8-r".
    SOURCE command gives the page in koi8-r charset.
    For both these pages GET command gives the page transliterated
    by Latin characters no matter how I specify XCHARSET:
    xcharset koi8-r
    xcharset windows-1251
    xcharset auto
    or without XCHARSET command at all, with
    or the letter with GET command.
    I last tried on October 30-31 (version pre3.0rc14c).
    To read Russian text written by Latin characters is very
    inconvenient and slow. Can Lynx be forbidden to convert
    one charset into another?