Re: Suggestions for www4mail next patch

Steve,
I must confess I have given some thought to such an option. It is a secret
that www4mail can accept form data using the following syntax in e-mail

XBASE= BASE HREF "http://www.altavista.com"
XFORM= FORM METHOD GET ACTION "/cgi-bin/query"
pg=q
text=yes
k1=XX
q=Steve Song
act=search
submit=Submit
XSUBMIT_NOW=Submit
XFORM= /FORM

The above example when sent to a www4mail server will perform a search
using Altavista for "Steve Song"

Note that at least the METHOD & ACTION entries are required, the
HTML entries do not have the < or > or the = sign (they were replaced
with spaces). In order to have a = sign in the data entry it could escaped
as \=.

Okay, I have three reasons for shying away from this getweb form
filling problem:

1. Some pull down lists are over 100 items (E.g list of countries).
	(This means adding 100 extra lines to the page ??) or ignoring the
		such items???)

2. One has to write code to support each type of HTML tag, if some new
	tag appears tomorrow, you have to code again. Using the current
	browser method, a new TAG means that the USER should get a new
	browser and not the Administrator getting a new server software.

3. I did not get any encouraging response to my earlier question on the
	need for such a system.

So the solution I have in mind is to make public the above syntax, this
means that the user has to extract the FORM syntax from the source web
page himself...:-).
Provide a command for the USER to select that the reply should be in the
GET or tsource format and  I was thinking of having a XJSDUMP command (A
javascript program that will dump the www4mail DATA syntax to the BROWSER
window.

I look forward to your comments...

Clement Onime