Re: Behavior of matches() and closest() with :scope()

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Sean Hogan <shogun70@westnet.com.au> wrote:
> No. I am also saying that if there is no explicit scope reference node
> passed in then the implied scope reference node is document (or some
> equivalent for elements not in document). I believe that currently the
> implied scope reference node is the element itself.
>
> Currently:
>     E.matches(':scope') -> true
>     E.matches(':scope ul li') -> false
>
> Should be:
>     E.matches(':scope') -> false
>     E.matches(':scope ul li') -> true if E.matches('ul li') is true

Why would that be better? As far as the :scope pseudo-element is
concerned, the current semantics seem much more intuitive. I could see
how you maybe want to rebind :scope, or restrict the tree traversed,
but not why you want to change the way :scope works.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/