Re: Standardisation of Gesture events

Hi Damien,

On 7/8/14 4:18 AM, Damien Antipa wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I was wondering if there is any ongoing effort to standardise higher level
> events for gestures?

I am not aware of any such at effort at the W3C (although the InidieUI
might be doing some work that is loosely related
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/>).

Gestures were discussed when the Web Events WG (Touch Event API) was
chartered and they were explicitly *not* included in scope because of
IP/patent concerns <http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/charter/Overview.html>.

> The only related documents I could find are [0] from 2009 and a
> proprietary Microsoft implementation [1].
>
> In case there is none Iıd like to start one.

Perhaps starting a Community Group would be a good way to get started.

(If you decide to go that route and need a supporter, please let me
know. I don't know if I would actually formally join such a CG but I do
support having a Public conversation about this topic.)

> Currently I am writing (yet another) JS library [2] to support some
> gestures like tap, dbltap, hold, pinch, flick, swipe.
> Other libraries like Hammer [3] canıt handle multiple pointers
> simultaneously or lack of accuracy when detecting gesture [4] (e.g. Hold
> is not aborted on move).
>
> Imho a specification should cover a Gesture interfaces and its properties
> + constraints like the maximum movement (in inch) for a pointer to be
> recognised as a tap or the ³hold" time. Eventually this should lead to
> that browsers handle gestures rather than a JS library.
>
> Any interest on that?

I Cc'ed the Touch Events CG and Pointer Events WG lists since some of
those people might be interested.

-AB