Re: Change to Attr interface in light of XPath

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 2/17/14 4:38 PM, Justin Summerlin wrote:
>>
>> This is somewhat problematic since accessing
>> the parent element is needed for our use.
>

> Exposing a .parentNode on Attr (returning the element it came from) does not
> require all the other Node baggage (child nodes, etc, etc).
>
> If there are use cases for a .parentNode, as here, exposing it seems fine.

attributenode.parentNode has always returned null. In all versions of
the spec and in all implementations. What you want is
attributenode.ownerElement. I'm surprised that it's been removed from
the new spec. I agree that it needs to be put back.

/ Jonas