Re: Fwd: MutationObserver - a better interface

Exactly that’s my argumentation.

It doesn’t matter whether MutationObserver is specified as a public or a private kind of element. Raising the MutationCallback event must *always* be prefixed with a check whether the node(s) it’s firing on are all still members of the same origin.

If MutationObserver was some private implementation of Node, no JavaScript attack could possibly harm its functionality.

So, apart from my first suggestion - which was just a first step in thoughts – I would even have suggested to *hide* MutationObserver by implementing it into the Node object:

    interface Node : EventTarget, MutationObserver
    {
    };

    dictionary MutationObserverInit
    {
        function callback;   // *** new ***
        boolean childList = false;
        boolean attributes;
        boolean characterData;
        boolean subtree = false;
        boolean attributeOldValue;
        boolean characterDataOldValue;
        sequence<DOMString> attributeFilter;
    };

Thus, a sample implementation would look like this:

    {
        var myNodes = document.getElementsByClassName("MyClass");
        var i;
        var observerInit = { callback: myObserveFunc; childList: true; attributes: true; };

        // A node can store a list of unique MutationObserverInit objects.
        // observe() adds a new object to the node’s list if that object doesn’t already exist in the list.
        // After adding the MutationObserverInit object to the list, observe() adds an internal (hidden)
        // MutationObserver object to the new MutationObserverInit object if not already attached.
        // So, within the following loop, while every node is getting the MutationObserverInit object attached
        // the (internal) MutationObserver object only gets attached at the first iteration because
        // all other nodes get the same MutationObserverInit object attached which already got that
        // internal MutationObserver object attached to it at the first iteration.

        for (i = 0;i < myNodes.length;++i)
            myNodes[i].observe( observerInit );

        // **** Two new helpful functions, added to MutationObserver interface ****
        myNodes[0].suspend(); // pause observation of all nodes with the same observerInit object
        myNodes[0].continue(); // continue observation of all nodes with the same observerInit object

        // pop mutation records of all nodes with the same observerInit object
        myNodes[0].takeRecords();

        // stop observation and remove MutationObserverInit object from each node separately
        for (i = 0;i < myNodes.length;++i)
            myNodes[i].disconnect( observerInit );

   }

If - internally - the MutationObserver object would be created by the application and attached to the above observerInit object (without being accessible to the client script), then this would keep the whole application from keeping closure orphans, and thus it'd keep the application from being attacked by a malicious (or poor) programmer who'd simply be allocating a huge number of orphans that couldn’t be accessed through the current MutationObserver design.

Since all nodes in the above example use the same MutationObserverInit object (amended according to my suggestion by adding the callback function to the MutationObserverInit class), the application can attach the - internally created - MutationObserver object to that MutationObserverInit object. And the application can even examine whether a MutationObserver object has already been attached to the MutationObserverInit object, and re-use that same MutationObserver object internally. So all nodes in the above example would use the same - internal - MutationObserver object.

This way, the notion of "MutationObserver" would be obsolete. And prefixing each call of callback with a same-origin check for all nodes it’s been attached to then would make the function safe.

"Bradley Meck" <bradley.meck@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:CANnEKUZELQGYHEATvEpCTEWJRt2wM=0JxgcV1Pr1C-3rfM4Djg@mail.gmail.com...
forgot to send to list