Re: Firing click from middle/right mouse clicks WAS: Thanks for participating on the DOM3 Events Call

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 12:09 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> When Gecko implemented the spec as written, this was discovered to be not
> compatible with web sites.  Note that the spec was somewhat abandonware at
> that point, in that the working group that had written it no longer existed.
>
> So given that, Gecko implemented as minimal a spec violation as possible
> that was still compatible with sites.

Firing an event on one element with .target set to a different element
depending on which button is pressed was viewed as a lesser violation than
just not firing the event for those buttons?  That's a bit nuts.

Anyway, hopefully it's possible to remove it.

Maybe we should have gone for a bigger spec violation, but please don't
> make it out like this was driven solely by "internal stuff".

I'm not making anything out to be anything, I'm replying to somebody who
said "according to the documentation in the Bugzilla bug, that was just to
keep some internal functionality working".  Maybe he misread the history,
but you're talking to the wrong person.

--
Glenn Maynard