Re: [dom] Is it recommended to use Node.getFeature() or Node.isSupported()?

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 10:03:34 +0200, David Bruant <bruant.d@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Le 22/08/2013 04:11, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
>>>
>>> Just if ("ondismissrequest" in document.body), I'd think.
> I could not agree more :-)
>
>> Yeah, this is all you need to do.  It's not perfect, but web devs are
>> good at making a racket when we accidentally ship something that
>> passes this test but doesn't actually work.
> Unfortunately indeed.
> This reminds me of discussions related to FirefoxOS (when some features,
> disabled for security reasons are exposed as null [1]).
> Also reminds me of a comment I read from the Persona project [2]
>
> Maybe specs (WebIDL?) should start providing guidance on how not to
> expose an API when it doesn't work (disabled for security reason or
> else)?

[[
When support for a feature is disabled (e.g. as an emergency measure to
mitigate a security problem, or to aid in development, or for performance
reasons), user agents must act as if they had no support for the feature
whatsoever, and as if the feature was not mentioned in this specification.
For example, if a particular feature is accessed via an attribute in a Web
IDL interface, the attribute itself would be omitted from the objects that
implement that interface — leaving the attribute on the object but making
it return null or throw an exception is insufficient.
]]

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/infrastructure.html#extensibility

--
Simon Pieters