Re: DOM 3 Events (and Modeling and Reasoning about DOM Events)

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 20:16:29 -0600
To: Ben Lerner <benjamin.lerner@gmail.com>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org
On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 7:37 PM, Ben Lerner <benjamin.lerner@gmail.com>wrote:

> Agreed -- DOM4 is much more explicit, but it's also not as complete as
> DOM3 Events.  For instance, it makes no mention of HTML handlers at all.
> (Personally, I think it's great to make handlers even less prominent ;-)
> But it does make it less clear how HTML's handlers ought to interact, or
> not explicitly that they are a distinct concept from the listeners here.)

HTML event handlers are defined by HTML (in a section I think you're
already reading), so DOM4 doesn't need to define them.  They're also not
strictly part of the event model, but instead a higher-level user of the
event model.

>  6.1.6.1:
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/webappapis.html#event-handler-attributes

7.1.6.1:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#event-handler-attributes

If you're not using the whatwg.org version (which I also strongly
recommend), please include a link to what you're referencing.  (It's
generally a good idea anyway, since people will read these archives a year
from now, but the section numbers will change.)

--
Glenn Maynard