RE: Better event listenersþ

> Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 18:00:59 +0100
> From: annevk@annevk.nl
> To: francois.remy.dev@outlook.com
> CC: www-dom@w3.org; es-discuss@mozilla.org
> Subject: Re: Better event listenersþ
>
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 5:42 PM, François REMY
> <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:
> > However, I've a few issues with your latest proposal:
>
> There's no proposal yet, we're exploring options.
>
> Not quite convinced about yours though as I'm pretty sure we want to
> continue minting lowercase event names and overall it seems way
> complex.

No problem with that, we're here to discuss. As you note, this is still early exploration ;-) My concerns continue to hold, however.

If we can a solution that works well with autocompletio, where you can test the existence of an event before registering to it (in a way that enables polyfills) and that doesn't remove abilities from the current syntax, I'll be all right. If we don't match those criteria, however, I'm not sure this approach is worth pursuing.

To respond to Benoit's answer, I do think 'onclick' was a good approach that just missed the '+=' and '-=' operators of C#. Maybe adding support for them would be an alternative approach? Don't know how practical it's from an ECMAScript point of view, however. Proxying 'null' to support just '+' and '-' operators on it would be awsomely insane ^_^