Re: Exceptions in event listeners triggered by dispatchEvent().

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 16:19:48 +0200, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

>> No. window.onerror is invoked directly without an event. ErrorEvent is
>> for
>> the case when an uncaught error is fired on a Worker object (if the
>> error
>> wasn't handled in the worker itself).
>>

> Nope.  In Chrome and IE10, ErrorEvent is used for uncaught exceptions in
> the UI thread too, for the "error" event fired on window.  Firefox also
> fires "error" event listeners (not just the event handler), but doesn't
> yet
> use ErrorEvent there.

Well then those browsers violate the spec and the original
implementation... At least Presto implements the spec.

> (The spec looks incorrect here.  It bypasses event dispatch entirely and
> calls "onerror" directly, which forgets to fire event listeners.  It also
> doesn't make much sense to support error handling with event listeners in
> workers but not in the UI thread.  This should probably just fire an
> ErrorEvent, and the window.onerror special case should probably be in the
> event dispatch algorithm.)

You misunderstood the worker case. Errors in workers are handled the same
as in window, i.e. onerror is invoked directly. However, if a worker error
is not "handled", an ErrorEvent gets fired on the Worker object.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software