Re: Resolving Futures w/multiple values

On 04/24/2013 12:15 PM, Brandon Wallace wrote:
> The problem I find with this suggestion is where do you draw the line?
>  There are already good mechanisms to handle passing around tuples.
>  Why make the Futures API also provide custom support for tuples?  And
> if it does, why stop there?  Wouldn't it also be nice if the futures
> could capture our context and set it when calling our callbacks?
>
> someFuture.done(callback, context); // callback will be called with
> "context" as its 'this'.
>
> I mean, we have Function.bind, but wouldn't this be more convenient
> since maybe some other old-style async API provided the convenience
> and not also providing the same convenience might make it
> frustrating/ugly?  I'm sure people could think up other things that
> might be convenient, but they aren't necessary and their exclusion
> does not reduce the functionality of the API in any meaningful way.

I don't buy this slippery slope argument. I think the change would be
fairly minor.

> Instead of making every new API that comes out re-implement features
> the language already supplies, why doesn't the hypothetical API that
> wraps the node.js-style methods shield you from this concern and
> provide a way to wrap the callbacks also?
>
> callback = function(bar, baz) { ... }; // old-style callback that I
> now want to use with future API
> futureFoo = wrap(foo);
> futureFoo(param1, param2).done(wrapCallback(callback)); //
> wrapCallback will unbox for me.
>
> This avoids a whole nest of problems related to chaining futures and
> waiting for a collection of Futures where each future might resolve to
> a different number of results.  It would be frustrating and mystifying
> if you lost the extra results just because you chained your futures.

Weaving wrapped/non-wrapped promises together in a chain could get
fairly ugly with this approach. But it would "work". I just think that
it could be easily avoided with what I think is a minor change. Your
mileage may vary. If the consensus is that this is not useful or
necessary, I can accept that. I thought it important to bring up -- as
we may see complaints related to this in the future.

--
Dave Longley
CTO