Re: Adding `detail` to Event

From: David Håsäther <hasather@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 13:00:29 +0100
To: www-dom@w3.org
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi> wrote:
> On 11/28/2012 01:12 PM, David Håsäther wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
>> wrote:

>>> What is the use case for having .detail in Event?
>>

>> Same use case as for having it in CustomEvent, to provide custom data.
>> Custom events could then use the Event constructor, instead of
>> CustomEvent.
>>
>> --
>> David Håsäther
>>

> So just use CustomEvent.

Right. The question is if it makes sense to use a separate constructor
for custom event, when the only thing it adds is the possibility to
add a custom object, and this object could just as easily be available
on Event.

> Or are you asking for .detail for all the events, so that
> for example UIEvents and MouseEvents could have it too?

That was not the use case I had in mind, no.

> UIEvent has already .detail, but not the same type as
> CustomEvent.detail, so we can't move .detail to Event, but perhaps
> we could add some other property. .additionalData? A bit long.

Yea, UIEvent has detail, so you could overwrite it then. This is not a
problem as far as I can see.

> But again, what is the use case?

Less typing for absolutely no reason.

--