Re: DOMHighResTimeStamps in DOM events, use cases

From: Pablo Garaizar Sagarminaga <garaizar@deusto.es>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 16:28:52 +0200
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: Robert Flack <flackr@chromium.org>, www-dom@w3.org
On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 16:02:21 +0200
Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> > Would it break too much to simply update timeStamp and make it work
> > like this? And have it return DOMHighResTimeStamp?

I agree with Anne that current Event.timeStamp is very similar to
calling to Date.now() at the beginning of the event callback, so it
could be replaced by the new high-resolution timestamp without
functionality loss.

But I am not sure whether changing the type and behaviour of a property
at the same time is a good idea or not.

> FWIW, if it turns out we are stuck with both, a better name than
> hRTimeStamp would be appreciated. Some ideas: Event.time,
> Event.systemTime, Event.originalTime, Event.platformTime... I like
> none of them and would prefer fixing Event.timeStamp.

Event.systemTime sounds good to me :-)

Some other ideas: Event.start, Event.startTime, Event.triggerTime...

--
  Pablo Garaizar Sagarminaga
  Universidad de Deusto

  Phone:       +34-94-4139000 Ext 2512