Re: DOM Keyboard Event Level 3 questions about proposal

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 10:06:35 -0500
To: "Hallvord R. M. Steen" <hallvord@opera.com>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org, Егор Николаев <termi1uc1@gmail.com>
On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com>wrote:

> Of course, we still don't have a solution for the use case "I want to use
> keys that are in a specific location on the keyboard for my shortcuts"
> (disregarding configurations like azerty vs qwerty) - but that's more of a
> corner case and arguably one we should not accomodate because it makes the
> web app less portable?

I suppose this is less for shortcuts within text-like web apps, and more
about first-person games wanting to default to the equivalent of "WASD" on
the user's keyboard?  Not supporting physical layout information makes that
web app less portable, not more, since it's building a keyboard layout
dependency into the app.

(I don't have any real opinion either way on whether it's worth it, though.)

--
Glenn Maynard