[DOM3 Events] Timing issue of compositionupdate

From: Masayuki Nakano <masayuki@d-toybox.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 10:31:55 +0900
To: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
Hello.

I think D3E spec should define the timing of compositionupdate event
clearly.

On IE9, compositionupdate event is fired *after* editor content is
modified actually.

On WebKit and Gecko, it's fired *before* editor content is modified.

That means there is a difference. That is, whether web app can access
modified content by value of <input> or <textarea>, or innerHTML of
editing host of a contenteditable element.

I think that most web application developers expect IE9's behavior
because compositionupdate isn't cancelable and they may want to access
the modified value.

For the compatibility between browsers, I'd like to suggest that D3E
should define the timing. I recommend the IE9's behavior.

-- Masayuki Nakano <masayuki@d-toybox.com> Manager,
Internationalization, Mozilla Japan.