Re: [DOM4] EventTarget as first class citizen

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 10:58:26 -0800
Cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
To: Erik Arvidsson <arv@chromium.org>
On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:26 AM, Erik Arvidsson <arv@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 15:40, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>> Note, I don't think that anyone is suggesting to add
>> .parentNode/.eventTargetParent to the EventTarget interface. But
>> rather just to objects instantiated through the constructor described
>> in this thread.
>
> FWIW, some JS libraries have custom EventTarget implementations and
> they use parentEventTarget as a way to determine how to do the
> propagation.
>
> One problem with only allowing the parent in the constructor is that
> it becomes read only. Most use cases for custom EventTargets that
> involve propagation also requires being able to reparent that objects.
>
>> We can either do that by inserting another interface which just
>> contains this new property. Or by adding the property on the instances
>> themselves. I don't have a strong opinion either way, but it would
>> seem nice if we can still call the constructor 'EventTarget'.
>
> Another option is to allow manual propagation. It still requires that
> the EventTarget is extended so maybe it is just simple to have a new
> property?
>
> --
> erik

Something along these lines came up for mouse events generated within new Canvas APIs. I don't believe there's a need, but it was brought up by Benjamin and by Hixie on separate occasions.

http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Canvas#Regions
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2012JanMar/0005.html

-Charles