Re: Default value of cloneNode() parameter

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Ms2ger <ms2ger@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/20/2012 10:47 PM, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
>
>> Given that WebKit and IE (when combined to have 70%+ market share) have
>> defaulted to false for years and Gecko and Opera mandated the parameter, I
>> don't see why we can change our behavior here.
>>

> Do you mean "can't"? Anybody omitting the parameter would be broken in
> Gecko.

The problem is that there are plenty of Web contents that only target
WebKit or Trident (especially mobile for the former and non-mobile for the
latter), and they will likely be broken if we make this change. On other
hand, there can't possibly a backward compatibility issue for contents that
only target Gecko or Presto because they have mandated the parameter
according to Aryeh's research.

I agree that it would have been much nicer if we had defaulted to true
years ago or mandated the parameter, but that ship has already sailed.

- Ryosuke