Re: Support getElementById and other methods of ShadowRoot on DocumentFragment

From: Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 11:25:18 -0700
To: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>
Cc: www-dom <www-dom@w3.org>
On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org> wrote:
>
>> Are you suggesting that getElementsBy* on ShadowRoot will return a static
>> node list? If so, that's inconsistent with the existing ones. If not, then
>> getElementsBy* return HTMLCollection, and I'm strongly opposed to adding
>> any new method that returns live node list or HTMLCollection. They impose
>> significant performance burdens and design constraints on all DOM mutations
>>
> That's not what the spec says:
>
> *...*

Ah sorry I was confused. Yes, I'm suggesting we remove these methods from
ShadowRoot and move them to DocumentFragment. If they're useful on
ShadowRoot then they're just as useful on DocumentFragments.

It's also important with things like the proposed <template> element that
would create a DocumentFragment.

- E