Re: [DOM4] Mutation algorithm imposed order on document children

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:09:37 +0200
To: "Elliott Sprehn" <esprehn@gmail.com>, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: "Ryosuke Niwa" <rniwa@webkit.org>, www-dom <www-dom@w3.org>, "Ojan Vafai" <ojan@chromium.org>, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 11:49:55 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
wrote:

>> I'd like to change the spec so that instead of requiring a specific
>> ordering, it requires that the serialization of the document (for
>> example
>> through XMLSerializer) always reflects the current document state, even
>> if
>> you removed the doctype node entirely. That ensures that serializing a
>> live
>> document gets you something that would render the same a second time.
>
> So HTML documents would always get the same doctype in standards mode,
> the same doctype in almost standards mode, and the same doctype (or
> maybe lack of) in quirks mode? Would that only happen if the doctype
> was meddled with? What about XML documents? What is the processing
> model going to be?

If the requirement is "it should render the same if loaded again", then
that seems like a pretty hard problem to solve. Consider for instance the
following doctype:

<!DOCTYPE HTML !>

This triggers quirks mode, but in the DOM it's represented exactly
equivalent to

<!DOCTYPE HTML>

which triggers standards mode.

Also, changing or removing the doctype doesn't change the rendering mode.

I don't know why that's a useful requirement. It seems simpler to just
serialize the doctype if it's there, and if it changes the rendering mode
when loaded again, so be it.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software