Re: Simplifying element creation

From: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:44:36 -0800
To: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>
Cc: Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>> But I think this syntax is far more concise and readable than anything
>>> else proposed so far, and it's also likely to be the most efficient
>>> (only one function call).  This is the only kind of syntax that will
>>> actually displace innerHTML and all its XSS problems.
>>>

>> Agreed. Although, I share Ryosuke's sadness that it encourages having
>> lots of whitespace textnodes everywhere in your DOM. Not sure what we could
>> do about that.
>>

> Maybe we need another quasi that ignores whitespace?

I thought of that, but it's hard to define which whitespace to ignore. You
often won't want to ignore all whitespace. Also, it would be nice if we
avoided adding too much API surface. If I heard a good proposal, I'd be
open to it though. In either case, it should be a separate thread from this
one. This thread is already too long to make sense of.