RE: "DOM4 Events" Proposal (was: Spec proposals for Event constructors)

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011, Jacob Rossi wrote:

> Another feature I've been considering to add to DOM4 Events is the
> ability to inspect the list of registered event listeners on a node.

This would break an assumption baked into many parts of the platform. I
strongly recommend against adding such a feature.

The assumption is that adding an event listener that doesn't do anything
is itself a no-op; that there can be no side-effects from such a
registration. This assumption is used throughout the platform, e.g. event
handler attributes, in the use of the event model by ATs, etc.

In any case, the event model is now described in the DOM Core spec, where
it belongs (due to its interaction with the DOM); I really see no reason
to also describe it in the DOM Events spec. I strongly recommend just
specifying the user interaction events like key and mouse events and not
defining the model or events that are already defined by other
specifications (such as 'change' or 'input').

> Or perhaps we could make addEventListener have a return value that
> indicates native support for the event type?

What does "native support for the event type" mean?