Re: [DOM4]: Element.create

From: Sean Hogan <shogun70@westnet.com.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 14:50:27 +1000
To: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
CC: www-dom@w3.org
On 16/09/11 4:07 AM, Charles Pritchard wrote:
> On webapps, we discussed a helper method, "create", which might fit
> well in DOM4.
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011JulSep/0707.html
>
> Element.create('img', {src: '...'}),
>
> This included some talk about chaining the method, something that is
> present in several
> JS libraries and particularly useful in cutting down on verbosity when
> building SVG documents and other graphs.
>
> It seems a reasonable discussion to continue here.
>
> This functionality has been requested across groups using DOM.
> Admittedly, it is syntactic sugar.

I can't imagine any scenario where people would switch to using this,
because:

a) it won't be universally supported for some time. Meanwhile it is just
another feature to detect
b) even when it is universal, the old methods will still be available
c) it gives no appreciable performance boost

Is there any precedent for js devs switching to a different API when it
isn't necessary and doesn't improve functionality or performance?

It won't affect people who use JS libs, so they won't care.
I don't see why the JS libs would find it worth incorporating, and
people who write their own will feel the same.

Sean