[DOM4] EventTarget.dispatchEvent() is synchronous, right?

From: David Flanagan <dflanagan@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:02:19 -0700
To: www-dom@w3.org
My reading of the DOM4 spec is that EventTarget.dispatchEvent() is
completely synchronous and does not involve the event loop in any way
and that any event handlers triggered in response to the dispatched
event are invoked before dispatchEvent() returns to its caller.

The reason I ask is that browsers (at least Firefox and Chrome, and
possibly Safari) don't seem to implement it fully synchronously, and it
is easy to hose them with thousands of calls to dispatchEvent().  Does
HTML or some other spec override the DOM4 requirements?

     David Flanagan