Re: [DOMCore] createElement() and HTML-specific element interfaces

From: David Flanagan <dflanagan@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 14:46:26 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Ms2ger <ms2ger@gmail.com>, www-dom@w3.org
On 8/9/11 1:55 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>> The terminology is confusing because we can have an object that
>> implements HTMLDocument but is not "flagged as an HTML document".  All
>> documents are HTML documents but some are more HTML than others and get
>> special uppercasing and lowercasing behavior of their tagnames.  Since
>> the primary consumer of the DOM spec is the HTML spec, I think the
>> editors of the DOM spec might want to change the phrase "flagged as an
>> HTML document" since the term "html document" gets overridden by the
>> HTML spec :-)
> The term "HTML document" actually comes from the HTML spec originally. The
> term as used in the HTML spec is the same.

Your suggestion on the whatwg list to change "interface HTMLDocument"
into "partial interface Document" would go a long way to clearing up the
confusion I experience.

Still, I think it would be helpful if the DOM spec changed the html flag
into two distinct internal properties: caseSensitive and
allowsProcessingInstructions.  Documents created with createDocument()
are case sensitive and allow PIs.  Documents created with
createHTMLDocument() are not.

     David