Re: ISSUE-178: Implementations and DOM Core allow empty string and null event types

From: Jacob Rossi <Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 03:58:11 +0000
To: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
> From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
> Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 17:32:41 -0700
> To: "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net>
> Cc: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>, "Jacob Rossi" <Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com>
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 15:54:19 -0700, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
> wrote:
>> The issue you raised was "Gecko and IE support both empty string and
>> null as event types. Webkit supports null as an event types. DOM Core
>> allows this, D3E disallows this. D3E should remove this restriction."
>
> I cannot find my original email, but it appears in browsers that null
> simply stringifies. That is what DOM Core has today.

The browser interop we found when considering this issue was:

*IE, Opera, and Webkit stringify null to "null"
*Firefox stringifies null to empty string.
*IE, Opera, Firefox, allow empty string event types
*Webkit does not allow empty string event types

The greatest interop is that null and empty strings be allowed. Since no browsers truly allow event.type to be nullable, we left the type DOMString (in which case, "null" is the correct stringification, I believe) and not DOMString? .