Re: [DOMCore] Making event initializing easier

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 22:57:27 +1200
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
Anne van Kesteren:
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#dom-event-init
>
> (With this new init() method the only thing you need to do for a new
> event interface is to define an event initialization dictionary and
> its mapping to the variables of your event interface.)

Minor suggestion: name the dictionaries something other than *Event,
because that seems like an event interface name.  EventInitializer or
EventParameters (and then CustomEventInitializer or
CustomEventParameters, etc.).

Also, I wonder if the event type should just be a plain argument outside
the dictionary.  I think every event you dispatch needs a type.

  var evt = document.createEvent("MouseEvent");
  evt.init("click", { clientX: 100, clientY: 150 });

looks OK to me.

Does it make sense to provide event interfaces with constructors?  A
pattern like:

  elt.dispatchEvent(new MouseEvent("click", { clientX: 100,
                                              clientY: 150 });

looks even better. :-)

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/