Re: [DOMCore] ownerDocument of a Document object

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 17:06:18 -0700
To: www-dom@w3.org
On 6/3/11 2:44 PM, David Flanagan wrote:
> Also, the final step of the ensure algorithm is this:
>> If old's |ownerDocument
>> <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#dom-node-ownerdocument>|
>> and new's |ownerDocument
>> <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#dom-node-ownerdocument>|
>> are not the same, throw a |HIERARCHY_REQUEST_ERR
>> <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#dom-domexception-hierarchy_request_err>|
> It seems to me that the previous steps of the algorithm ensure that they
> are the same and that this step is not necessary.

Unfortunately, no.  Invoking adoptNode can trigger arbitrary script
execution before it returns in several different ways, which can change
the ownerDocument of both 'new' and 'old'.  Changing the ownerDocument
of 'old' while not messing with 'new', in particular, will make the
ownerDocuments not match.

-Boris