Re: Target of onkeyup/down/press events

From: Giuseppe Pascale <giuseppep@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 16:12:48 +0200
To: "Olli Pettay" <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>, Olli@pettay.fi
Cc: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
On Thu, 12 May 2011 17:00:11 +0200, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
wrote:

> I tried to come one with a testcase which might dispatch key events to
> document, but so far no luck.
> If all the elements are removed from document, key events aren't
> dispatched to document nor window, in gecko, webkit, opera -
> at least not in my testcase.
>
> So, so far the spec looks ok.

I've been thinking about this a bit but I'm still not sure if the spec was
correct [1].
What you say is correct, so my confusion is only "linguistic". What does
"Target" mean in that table?

If it means the "proximal event target" [2] (i.e. the value of
event.target) then I agree with you that the spec was correct.
But if it just mean "event target" [3] as in you can register a listener
for this event on the object X, than I think the spec was wrong.

[1] note that meanwhile the editor added Document to the event target.
[2]
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html#glossary-proximal-event-target
[3]
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html#glossary-event-target