Re: Target of onkeyup/down/press events

On Thu, 12 May 2011 11:44:38 +0200, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
wrote:

> On 05/12/2011 11:38 AM, Giuseppe Pascale wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I was looking at DOM specifications and I'm a little bit confused about
>> the following.
>>
>> Question: (according to the spec) can an HTMLDocument receive a
>> keyup/down/press event?
>>
>> I say according to the spec, because this works in practice (tried in
>> Opera,Chrome and Firefox on Ubuntu)
>>
>> Anyway, if I look at the latest stable version of DOM 3 Events
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Events/
>
> That is old.
> Use
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html
> Although even the latest draft has only Element as the target for key
> events.
>
> But anyway, do you have a testcase where events are targeted to document
> in all those browsers?
> (I think you're right, but I'd like to see what you were testing)

well I didn't try anything special, just something like this

<head>
<script type="text/javascript">

 function testEvent(){
  document.onkeyup=my_keyup;
  document.onkeydown=my_keydown;
  document.onkeypress=my_keypress;
 }

 function my_keyup(){
  alert('keyup');
 }

 function my_keydown(){
  alert('keydown');
 }

 function my_keypress(){
  alert('keypress');
 }

</script>
</head>
document.keyXXX event test

Even though to be honest keyup event doesn't seem to be delivered (in
Opera, Chrome and FF). I didn't do any extensive testing with different
versions or OSes.

/g
--
Giuseppe Pascale