Re: Target of onkeyup/down/press events

From: Giuseppe Pascale <giuseppep@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 16:53:13 +0200
To: "Olli Pettay" <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>, Olli@pettay.fi
Cc: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
On Thu, 12 May 2011 11:44:38 +0200, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>

> On 05/12/2011 11:38 AM, Giuseppe Pascale wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I was looking at DOM specifications and I'm a little bit confused about
>> the following.
>> Question: (according to the spec) can an HTMLDocument receive a
>> keyup/down/press event?
>> I say according to the spec, because this works in practice (tried in
>> Opera,Chrome and Firefox on Ubuntu)
>> Anyway, if I look at the latest stable version of DOM 3 Events
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Events/
> That is old.
> Use
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html
> Although even the latest draft has only Element as the target for key
> events.
> But anyway, do you have a testcase where events are targeted to document
> in all those browsers?
> (I think you're right, but I'd like to see what you were testing)
well I didn't try anything special, just something like this

<script type="text/javascript">

	function testEvent(){
	function my_keyup(){
	function my_keydown(){
	function my_keypress(){
document.keyXXX event test

Even though to be honest keyup event doesn't seem to be delivered (in
Opera, Chrome and FF). I didn't do any extensive testing with different
versions or OSes.

Giuseppe Pascale
TV & Connected Devices
Opera Software - Sweden