Re: WebApps-ISSUE-178 (empty string and null event types): Implementations and DOM Core allow empty string and null event types [DOM3 Events]

From: Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 14:14:28 +0300
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
CC: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, Jacob Rossi <Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>, "annevk@opera.com" <annevk@opera.com>
On 05/10/2011 12:57 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 2:19 AM, Simon Pieters<simonp@opera.com>  wrote:

>>> Hmm. I only vaguely remember the tail end of this discussion, but
>>> wasn't the conclusion that it was better to let empty string signify
>>> an uninitialized event?
There certainly wasn't such conclusion.
Gecko now throws an exception if non-initialized event is dispatched,
but it doesn't matter what the event type string contain.

> Thus making empty string a not allowed name.
>>>
>>> The alternative is to force the event to hold some hidden state which
>>> indicates if it has been initialized or not. This is worse both from
>>> an implementation complexity aspect, as well as removes the ability
>>> for pages to check if an event has been initialized (I don't have any
>>> use cases for the latter, but it's a nice free bonus)
>>
>> Some argued for that but DOM Core was then changed to have a flag -
>> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#initialized-flag
>
> Why? What was the advantage with that approach?
The advantage is to keep event.type a separate thing which
doesn't affect event dispatch.

  I'd rather not head
> down a path that'll make us add extra API
What extra API? The flag is an internal thing.

-Olli