Re: Conflicts between D3E and Web DOM Core

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 4:28 AM, Ms2ger <ms2ger@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't see a reason to allow empty string as event name. I don't see
>>> a strong reason to forbid it either, but since we need some sort of
>>> state which indicates "event has been initied" then checking for empty
>>> type seems fine. So we could make initEvent throw if called with an
>>> empty type.
>>
>> If initEvent is to stay required, I think this is best.  All else
>> equal, reducing hidden state is a clear win.
>
> I'm not sure about that. There doesn't seem to be a strong relation between
> and event having an empty type and it being uninitialized. I've changed DOM
> Core to add an "initialized" flag. [1]

It is if we define it that way, no? I guess I don't care much either
way as either solution is easy to implement and neither solution seems
harder to use in a sensible way.

However I don't see an advantage of having an initialized flag, and it
does seem like a good thing to be able to test if an event has been
initialized. Something that an empty type would expose.

/ Jonas