Re: Fwd: DOM event detection

From: Jacob Rossi <jrossi@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 22:13:41 +0000
To: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>, "dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com" <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>, "schepers@w3.org" <schepers@w3.org>
Garrett Smith:
> If hasFeature is to be used, it must be first feature tested.

As will any alternate API for detecting implementation.

>That feature [hasFeature()] cannot be reliably used for the web.

The fact that it isn't reliable today isn't proof that it is a bad API (hence, Doug's "reductio ad absurdum" comment).

Incorrect reporting by hasFeature() by an implementation is simply a bug on the implementation's part.

Unfortunately, any alternative to hasFeature will likely suffer from implementation bugs or incomplete implementation like the examples you gave. Unless you have a counter proposal, I believe the only solution which will be reliable on the web *today* is to create and dispatch a test event yourself.