Re: Fullscreen?

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 21:23:01 -0600, João Eiras <joao.eiras@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On , Daniel Hendrycks <kondo8@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gecko:FullScreenAPI
>
> I personally don't see much benefit in Gecko's API. Some of the usecases
> are coverd by media queries, like "projection" or the new workbeing done
> with the @viewport rule(http://people.opera.com/rune/TR/css-viewport/).
> Others are specificallyuser agent UI features, like double clicking a
> video to show fullscreen,as in popular media players. 'Fullscreening' a
> fragment of the page canalready be achieved by opening a popup and then
> letting the user do whathe/she wants with it. And last but not least,
> going fullscreen alwaysraises the typical UI spoofing issues or the
> typical question "Who's incontrol, the page or the user?", hence their
> specific permissions API.
>
> So, are there any use cases that *are* really no covered by the current
> state of the art web standards, and are those use cases significant ?

Hi, xErath; I am not all for the Gecko Fullscreen API, but it is something
to get an idea of what methods could be used.

> Others are specificallyuser agent UI features, like double clicking a
> video to show fullscreen,as in popular media players.
Are you referring to media players that use Flash? If so, I am
wondering/suggesting web standards that allow people to do that w/o the
need of plugins.

> 'Fullscreening' a fragment of the page canalready be achieved by opening
> a popup and then letting the user do whathe/she wants with it.
Although this is a workaround to get things in fullscreen, now, it really
isn't intuitive.

> And last but not least, going fullscreen alwaysraises the typical UI
> spoofing issues or the typical question "Who's incontrol, the page or
> the user?"
A confirmation box could be added (a la Geolocation's method of enabling),
but I find it unnecessary. Implementations could prohibit the activation
of fullscreen w/o user interaction. As in, devs couldn't make pages go in
auto-fullscreen.

> So, are there any use cases that *are* really no covered by the current
> state of the art web standards, and are those use cases significant ?
Current pluginless workarounds have been unintuitive, making webapps seem
less than first class.

I am wondering (and hoping) if a standardisation of making things go
fullscreen is planned/being discussed.
Philip Jägenstedt, <video> implementer at Opera, in a seminar a while ago
(summation) talked about it is something wanted for video on the web; its
not just me that wants it.
--

Daniel Hendrycks

(Using Opera's built-in mail client)