Re: [DOM Level 3 Events] optionality of the capture argument in addEventListener/removeEventListener

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
> wrote:
> > I don't support this kind of change.
> > It happens way too often that people don't think about the phase, and
> that
> > leads to bugs.
>
> I don't think requiring the last argument is helping a whole lot with
> that right now. I've heard multiple times developers say:
>
> "I don't know why I have to specify the last 'false' value, but I have
> to do that everywhere when I call addEventListener".

In addition to this, I've seen many developers toggle the boolean value
because it happened to fix a specific bug without understanding why (and it
usually caused other bugs). Forcing people to use the boolean is not
synonymous with forcing them to understand it.

Ojan