Re: [DOM Level 3 Events] Capture-phase listeners invoked on targets

From: Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:42:34 +0100
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
CC: <sergey@ilinsky.com>
Sergey Ilinsky <sergey@ilinsky.com> wrote:

> As far as I know there are "modern" browsers which handle capture-phase
> event handlers on targets. Is this behaviour wrong or correct? Is the
> correct behaviour specified anywhere in the specification?

This has been discussed before (although possibly not on this mailing list?)
and I believe that a summary would be:

* It was completely wrong
* Firefox had this bug [bug 235441, lots of discussion there too]
* Firefox won't fix it because there's a website builder that relies on it
* Other browsers have started to emulate this fault
* The spec is being retrospectively changed to match Firefox's behaviour
* any content that relied on the original specification is now broken

--
Stewart Brodie
Team Leader - ANT Galio Browser