Re: [DOM3Events] keyCode and charCode [ISSUE-133]

From: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 17:51:34 -0700
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, www-dom@w3.org
On 9/16/10, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> Hi, Folks-
>
> Boris Zbarsky wrote (on 9/16/10 3:43 AM):
>> On 9/16/10 12:19 AM, Simon Pieters wrote:
[...]
> Browsers have had 15 years to get this right, and despite its
> importance, they haven't been able to.  Not one browser we tested was
> consistent across platforms and keyboard layouts.

Are the tests online? And if so, please post a link.

[...]

> As editor of the spec, I don't claim to be the sole author
> (thankfully!), so I welcome contributions... but looking at the history
> of key events over the last 15 years, I have grave concerns that tilting
> at these particular windmills will cause this spec to be fatally
> delayed, and I am skeptical that it would help anyone, other than
> providing a sense of closure on this open wound; stop picking at the
> scab, it will leave a scar.  I think there are far more important things
> we could be doing that would have far greater positive impact for
> everyone involved.  Shipping is a feature, whether you detect it with
> DOM3Events.hasFeature("Shipping") or DOM3Events.shipping.

Where is the proposal for a global DOM3Events object? I missed that.

> So, if there is a hearty soul out there who can harpoon this white whale
> before the end of the Last Call period, on 18 October, then I salute
> them.  Otherwise, I would prefer to mark this issue as WONTFIX, so we
> don't have to wait another 10 years for it to be done.

I don't agree with the "not enough time" argument. API design has long
term ramifications that can potentially cost more time. Could keyboard
events exist in a separate specification?

Why not have DOM 3 Events define fundamentals such as propagation,
preventDefault, and an extensible approach to initialization and
dispatching events?

Garrett