Re: [DOM Level 3 Events] optionality of the capture argument in addEventListener/removeEventListener

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:48:13 -0700
To: Sergey Ilinsky <sergey@ilinsky.com>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org
On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Sergey Ilinsky <sergey@ilinsky.com> wrote:
> There are modern browsers that made 3rd argument in the
> addEventListener/removeEventListener be optional. Is this a legal step?
> If I understand correctly, specification requires 3rd argument to be passed,
> thus the new behaviour not backed by the change
> in specification only destabilizes web as a platform.
> Personally, I like the behaviour, but cannot use it as long as not every
> browser does that.

Currently it does not appear to be legal based on my reading of the
latest editor drafts. However I would love to change that. It wouldn't
be a big change in the spec, just stick [optional] in front of the
useCapture argument, and it should be no problem as far as backwards
compatibility goes. And at least in gecko it would be trivial to

The only problem I can think of is that it means that people might
write pages that only works in newer browsers, however that is true
for any new feature added.

/ Jonas