Re: textInput --> beforeInput

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 22:45:20 +0200, Jacob Rossi <rossi@gatech.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> beforeinput (all lowercase) would be more consistent with other event
>> naming. E.g. beforeunload, beforeprint. I think that would be better.
>
> Well for one, beforeunload and beforeprint are not in D3E.

That should not matter one bit. We should always consider the platform
holistically.

> But in
> their defense, they represent events that ocur *before* an action has
> occured, i.e. before the document is unloaded and before the printing
> of the document occurs.  On the contrary, textinput occurs as a
> notification *after* the user input action has occured (via whatever
> inputmethod).  At least that is, I define the "input" to be when the
> user performs the action that then causes text insertion.

The input event is dispatched after the text is inserted. Logically the
beforeinput event would be dispatched before the text is inserted. I do
not think we should discuss beforeinput (or textinput) without also
considering how input behaves.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/