Re: event.returnValue

From: Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:30:49 +0900
To: "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>, "Olli Pettay" <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>, Olli@pettay.fi, "Doug Schepers" <doug@schepers.cc>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org
On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 03:20:58 +0900, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
wrote:

>> However bz indicates there that returnValue doesn't make much sense
>> outside of IEs event model. There were also *no* counter comments
>> asking for reconsidering the bug resolution.

> Yeah, I don't see reason to standardize returnValue.
> We're not trying to specify all the old event handling related things.

IMO one of our goals should be to close the gap between specs and reality
/ implementations. To do so, when we have non-standardised features we
should either get them into a spec or drop them.

Opera is *certainly* happy to stop supporting event.returnValue if WebKit
will do so too ;). Should I report a WebKit bug on removing it? (Opera
already has one).

Doug, you can probably close issue 132 since it seems there is a general
agreement not to standardise event.returnValue :)

As for Garrett's helpful responses, I understand that we've had some
controversies that means he is blocked from posting to the www-dom list
(unfortunately, since the tecnical content of his contributions is often
valuable though I can see why his style causes controversy.)

I would rather not resume past flamewars, but I'd like the information he
brought to my attention to be recorded in mailing list archives:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2010JulSep/thread.html#msg142

How do I do that? Should I BCC him on replies rather than CC? (As a test,
he's BCCed on this E-mail.)

--
Hallvord R. M. Steen, Core Tester, Opera Software
http://www.opera.com http://my.opera.com/hallvors/