RE: proposal: add input/keyboard locale to text and keyboard events

Dear DOM WG,

I am writing on behalf of the Internationalization WG. During our weekly teleconference this week I was actioned [1] with asking you to consider including this proposal in your upcoming last call document, perhaps noting it as an "at risk" feature. Our concern is that, if you were to accept it as a Last Call comment, you would then need to undergo a revision and further last call. It would be easier to remove an at risk feature.

We feel sufficiently strong about the use cases for this (again noting the very real limitations on the information provided by the "input locale") to think your WG should seriously consider adding it. A separate document suggesting this would be untimely and probably face low adoption, so that solution seems unappealing.

Although we did not discuss it in this week's meeting and thus did not include this in my action item, I think it useful to convey that a number of our WG members previously expressed that the privacy issue raised, when considered in the larger context of DOM events, is perhaps not very realistic. Input locale/keyboard would come in an event that exposes information such as the IP address of the user, their language preferences, cookies, and other identifying information units that are probably better sources of fingerprinting and profiling. Further, unlike many of these items, the "keyboard" used can often be altered by the user (this message was typed with a "Japanese input locale").

I any case, please reconsider whether to include this item in your last call document. Failing that, we will consider sending it to you as a last call comment. I18N WG members may also be interested in discussing this with your WG, either via email or via teleconference should there be further interest in this discussion.

Thanks,

Addison (for Internationalization WG)

[1] http://www.w3.org/2010/09/01-core-minutes.html#action01

Addison Phillips