Re: textInput --> beforeInput

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 17:43:38 -0400
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
CC: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>, Roland Steiner <rolandsteiner@google.com>, Jacob Rossi <rossi@gatech.edu>, Tony Chang <tony@chromium.org>, www-dom@w3.org, morrita@google.com, danilatos@google.com
Hi, Jonas-

Jonas Sicking wrote (on 8/27/10 5:20 PM):
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Doug Schepers<schepers@w3.org>  wrote:
>>>  2. Fire beforeInput for any user-action that modifies the DOM, not just
>>>  actions that cause text to get inserted.
>>  That's more like a mutation event, not a 'textInput' event, and mutation
>>  events are pretty widely reviled by implementers (though useful when
>>  implemented); they seem to be difficult to implement efficiently.  We have
>>  deprecated Mutation Events in DOM3 Events, though there are still going to
>>  be implementations for a while.
> What counts as "any user-action" here? If we're talking about things
> like copy-paste and drag'n'drop then it won't have any of the problems
> that mutations events have.

(Copy-)Paste and (Drag'n')Drop are already covered by the 'textInput'
event, explicitly [1].  Here's a list of the possible options for the
.inputMethod property:

Neither copying nor dragging themselves input text, only the end results
of those "paired" operations, the pasting and dropping.

My conclusion is that Ojan must be talking about extending this beyond
text and beyond simple insertion.  I am reluctant to change it so
dramatically at this late stage, but am always willing to listen to
implementation experience.

-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs