Re: New DOM event types

From: João Eiras <joaoe@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:43:26 +0100
To: "Charles Pritchard" <chuck@jumis.com>, "Joe D Williams" <joedwil@earthlink.net>
Cc: "Jacob Rossi" <rossi@gatech.edu>, www-dom@w3.org
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 05:38:27 +0100, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
wrote:

> The existence of old browsers is not something to be ignored.

No matter how interesting this discussion might be, it's
off-topic, and barely related to my suggestions. New
technologies should preserve backwards compatibility
with older ones, and in this case it does not apply
because it's a new set of event types, not the modification
of older ones. So, please, start a new thread if you
want to continue this discussion.

> Back to the actual start of the thread: beforescroll.
>
> I'd suggest taking a look at the mousewheel event.
>
> [...]

Please read my first e-mail in the thread [1]. I quote myself:

# We at Opera have had some demands to find ways that
# will allow a webpage to control zooming or panning/scrolling,
# specially on mobiles. The typical use case are map
# applications on devices, where the user double taps
# or drags the viewport around to zoom and pan, although
# the map should have the chance to detect these events
# and apply them on the map instead. Dragging overlaid
# objects in the page is also another use case.

Which makes mousewheel completely irrelevant.
But to complement, I quote myself again [1]

# People usually confuse low level mouse events with
# these actions. Zooming and scrolling are high level
# UI actions, which can be triggered in many other
# means than just the mouse. Please do not confuse them.

> I'd agree with Jacob that it's dangerous to "prevent a
> high level UI task such as scrolling [the overflow/scroll bar]"
> from happening. That kind of host environment manipulation
> seems outside of the scope of DOM.

Please read my first e-mail in the thread. [1]

> Remember, we are in a single threaded event loop.

Which is again not relevant, not a hindrance to this feature, nor
undeniably truthful. Your mousewheel event example supports this.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2010JanMar/0085.html

--

João Eiras
Core Developer, Opera Software ASA, http://www.opera.com/