Re: stopPropagation() or stopImmediatePropagation() called early

From: Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 13:42:32 +0000
To: Ben Lerner <t-benle@microsoft.com>
Cc: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
Siterer Ben Lerner <t-benle@microsoft.com>:

> How does this mesh with the paragraph at the end of 3.1?
> As the final step of the event dispatch, for reasons of backwards
> compatibility, the implementation must reset the event object's
> internal-propagation and default-action-prevention states.

This is a good point. Given that, I think an early exception would be
appropriate - either specify that calling stop(Immediate)Propagation()
before dispatch throws an error, or specify that calling
dispatchEvent() throws if one of these methods were already called.

I guess it's simpler to make the methods throw. I can't think of any
use cases for an event whose propagation is stopped before it's even
dispatched, so that would likely be done by mistake.

--
Hallvord R. M. Steen
Core tester, Opera Software