Re: Custom DOM events and privileged browser add-ons; Was: Bubbling/Capturing for XHR + other non-DOM objects

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:59:21 +0200
To: "'Boris Zbarsky'" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "Brett Zamir" <brettz9@yahoo.com>, "Chris Wilson" <cwilso@microsoft.com>
Cc: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, "Travis Leithead" <travil@microsoft.com>, "Adrian Bateman" <adrianba@microsoft.com>
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 23:36:28 +0200, Chris Wilson <cwilso@microsoft.com>
wrote:
> See, this is exactly why we asked the question - because it seems that
> behavior is inconsistent, we're not sure what the expectation is.  The
> fact that the XHR spec says the events do not bubble (but says nothing
> about capture) is confusing.  DOM L3 Events says "here's what happens
> for DOM elements," but doesn't say explicitly if NOTHING should happen
> for non-DOM uses, or if something else should depending on context.

If nothing is stated nothing needs to be done. That Firefox does something
with an object outside the Window object as well is not relevant. DOM
Events defines the event flow for document trees. HTML5 defines how events
are dispatched to Window in the event they are dispatched to Document.
Trying to infer anything else from any of this is a mistake.
XMLHttpRequest is neither part of the document tree nor is it the Window
object, so logically its events will not go anywhere. Specifications need
to be read literally.

We never say explicitly that "NOTHING" should happen. That is implied.
Defining all the cases where "NOTHING" should happen is a race to the
bottom.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/