Re: Proposal to ammend the composition event spec.

From: Tony Chang <tony@chromium.org>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 01:50:52 +0000 (UTC)
To: www-dom@w3.org
Having the textInput fire before every change sounds like the easiest
for UAs to implement.  As Daniel mentioned, deleting the composition
to fire the event seems wasteful and a bit hacky.

Daniel Danilatos <daniel@danilatos.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:
>> However, it may be that canceling a textInput event during a composition
>> will do strange things. I think that's fine. In the worst case, we can say
>> either of the following:
>>
>> textInput events during IME composition cannot be canceled
>> textInput events during IME composition can be cancelled, but may leave the
>> composition in an indeterminate state

If textInput events during IME composition cannot be canceled, you may
get some strange behavior in a field that is trying to stop textInput.
I guess you would show each step of the composition but on composition
end, you would remove the modifications.  Because of that, I'd also
prefer the second option and allow the composition to be in an
indeterminate state.  I think Daniel's analysis is correct and UAs
can just can adjust the composed text once composition starts again.

Tony